Ekadashi is considered to be one of the most auspicious days of the lunar cycle. There are 24 types of Ekadashi in a lunar year. All these are linked with various incarnations of Lord Vishnu.
Ekadashi meaning eleven denotes the eleventh day of the waxing (rising) and waning (falling) moon. In addition, these phases are named Shukla Paksha (rising) and Krishna Paksha (falling).
The Krishna Paksha of the month always come prior to the Shukla Paksha. Thus, Baisakh Krishna aka Varuthini Ekadashi is the first to celebrate in the Hindu Calender.
Ekadashi is the 11th Tithi of each of the two lunar phases – Shukla Paksa and Krishna Paksa. Fasting done on this day originated when Lord Vishnu killed the demon Mura who was continuously trying to disturb the sleeping of Lord Vishnu.
How do Hindu Women and Vishnu devotees Fast in Ekadashi?
Aaj Ekadadhi Fasting Hein, so what are the fasting rules you must keep in mind? What are the Ekadashi fasting Timings? Here are the procedures for Ekadashi Vrat you can note.
- The Ekadashi day of a lunar month offers a powerful prayer to Lord Vishnu.
- Hindu women tend to take fruits, milk, and a light satvic lunch after taking tulsi jal during this day.
- One can have Saabudana khichdi and plain chapati.
- Also, Dahi, veggies without onions, garlic, tomatoes, salads, and Prasada on Ekadashi.
- Devotees take a single meal in the afternoon a day before the fasting day. The reason behind the same is that the Vaktajans do not want to have residual food in the stomach on next day.
- Likewise, Devotees often tend to keep a strict fast on Ekadashi. On this day of Ekadashi fasting, Hindus and Vaishnavs avoid alL types of grains and cereals.
- The followers of the Vishnu observe full fasting on Ekadashi Fasting Timings as per the Panchang.
- Especially, people fast on the Padma or Hari Shayani Ekadashi, and Haribodhini or Devauthana Ekadashi.
According to BAPS, the Ekadashi Food list which can be consumed during fasting is farrari foods. It includes Potatoes, Sweet Potato, Cassava (Mogo), Turnips and Yams, Milk Yogurt, Fruits, Nuts, some vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower tomatoes), and special grains such as Samo and Rajagri.
Significances of Fasting
- Fastings can help believers to get rid of malefic planetary influences.
- It also assists people to attain the right peace of mind.
- It helps showcase the true meaning of happiness.
- One can also attain moksha and enlightenment.
- One follows the Ekadashi Brata rules and Vidhi.
- On the day of Vishtikarana chanting, Vishnu mantras can heal you.
Also, Read 9 Interesting Facts on the Capricorn zodiac!
While fasting in Ekadashi is considered as auspicious to remove the dark side of the lunar day. here are 24 types of Ekadashi for you.
Types of Ekadashi
- Varuthini Ekadashi: This day will protect you from misfortunes.
- Mohini Ekadashi: Worship of the Mohini roop of Lord Vishnu.
- Apara Ekadashi: All sins of devotees will be purified with selfless offerings.
- Nirjala Ekadashi: Fasting without food and water on this day is in honor of five Pandavas.
- Yogini Ekadashi: Chantings Lord Vishnu with sacred heart in Yogini can protect you from disease.
- Padma/Devshayani Ekadashi: Beginning of Lord Vishnu’s Sleep on his Shesh Naaga in the milky cosmic ocean for four months.
- Kamika Ekadashi: Fasting on this day allows devotees to get rid of Pitri Dosha.
- Shrawan Putrada Ekadashi: Fasting allows spouses to conceive a child.
- Parivartini, Vamana, or Parsva Ekadashi: Devotees can attain eternal happiness and longevity.
- Ananda/ Aja Ekadashi: Fastings can help you gain unlimited wealth, prosperity, and happiness.
- Indira Ekadashi: Moksha of deceased ancestors.
- Papankusha Ekadashi: Vishnu avatar Lord Padmanabha makes you healthy.
- Rama Ekadashi: Kartik Krishna Paksha Ekadashi allows Immense wealth, happiness, and sin-free life.
- Devathuna Ekadashi: Lord Vishnu awakened from his four-month-long sleep.
- Utapanna Ekadashi: Victory of Lord Krishna over Murasura and the birth of Ekadashi Mother.
- Mokshada Ekadashi: Birthday of Bhagwat Gita.
- Saphala Ekadashi: Successful manifestation of endeavors.
- Pausha Putrada Ekadashi: A couple wanting so can fast this day.
- Satilla Ekadashi: Offer sesame seeds and water to Lord Vishnu to late parents and ancestors.
- Jaya Ekadashi: Awareness of eternal spiritual bliss.
- Vijaya Ekadashi: Lord Krishna, the eighth avatar of Lord Vishnu is worshiped on this day.
- Amalaki Ekadashi: Beginning of the colorful festival of Hol
- Kamada Ekadashi: Fastings can offer the greatest austerity and devotion.
- Papmochani Ekadashi: Abstinence from evil deeds and sin-free living.
What are the Mantras to Chant on Ekadashi?
Some of the popular Ekadashi Mantras are Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram’, ‘Vishnu Ashtottaram’, Achyuthashtakam, Sri Krishnashtakam, Damodara Ashtakam, Sri Rama Raksha Stotram,
Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram lyrics
श्री विष्णु सहस्रनाम स्तोत्रम्
॥ पूर्वपीठिका ॥
शुक्लाम्बरधरं विष्णुं शशिवर्णं चतुर्भुजम् ।
प्रसन्नवदनं ध्यायेत् सर्वविघ्नोपशान्तये ॥ १ ॥
यस्य द्विरदवक्त्राद्याः पारिषद्याः परश्शतम् ।
विघ्नं निघ्नन्ति सततं विष्वक्सेनं तमाश्रये ॥ २ ॥
Also, get full pdf on Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram complete lyrics