One of the most popular mantras that Shiva devotees chant during a Mangal Aarti is Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram.
This Lord Shiva-related ancient Sanskrit Shloka is famously known by its other name, the Shiva Yajur Mantra.
One of the canonical texts of Hindu Dharma, four Vedas, Yajurveda, has significantly written the chant Karpur Gauram Karunavtaaram.
Inside the Mysterious personality of Lord Shiva
Lord Shiva the creator of the Shristi/ Sansara is the remover of sin and horror in one’s life. He is the giver of bliss on earth, the advocate of righteousness and good fortune.
Shiva is the destroyer of all evil and the deity of renunciation, thus he is also known as Hara. People chant him Har Har Mahadev.
Shiva aka Sankara always does good for the being. The Almighty takes one beyond the Jeeva or embodied souls, three bodies (Tripura), gross, subtle, and causal.
Karpur Gauram Karunavtaaram Lyrics
Shiva Yajur Mantra (Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram) is a powerful mantra usually chanted during arati. It is one of the most popular Hindu mantras related to Lord Shiva.
कर्पूरगौरं करुणावतारं संसारसारम् भुजगेन्द्रहारम् । सदावसन्तं हृदयारविन्दे भवं भवानीसहितं नमामि ॥ karpūragauraṁ karuṇāvatāraṁ sansārsāram bhujagendrahāram | sadāvasantaṁ hṛdayāravinde bhavaṁ bhavānīsahitaṁ namāmi ||
Of all the mantras dedicated to Lord Shiva, Karpur Gauram Karunavtaaram is considered pure as a white lotus. This mantra of Shiva glorifies the devon ka dev Mahadev in the highest order.
Let us dig deep to understand the spiritual ecstasy and lyrical meaning with full lyrics of Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram.
Meaning of Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram Mantra
- karpūragauraṁ – One that is pure and white shining(Gauram) as camphor(Karpur).
- karuṇāvatāraṁ – An incarnation of compassionate avatar/ Personality
- sansārsāram – The one who is the essence of the whole Triloka/ world.
- bhujagendrahāram – Shiva has the serpent king (Nagaraja) as his garland.
- sadāvasantaṁ hṛdayāravinde – Shiva Always resides in the lotus-like heart. He is truly untouched in the heart of his devotees untouched by worldly matters resembling the white lotus blooming in the mud.
- bhavaṁ – To the Lord
- bhavānīsahitaṁ namāmi – Shiva is always with the Goddess Bhavani (A form of Goddess Parvati, Shiva’s consort)
- namāmi – I bow to the Almighty the Hara, the remover of all pains and sorrow, Shiva and Shakti Together.
Bhajan Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram Meaning
Aarati Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram is performed in the honor of Lord Shiva widely a festivity in Shivaism. Coming to the meaning part, Shiva the healer is an essence to the whole world with his compassionate and pure personality like camphor.
Mahadev who wears Nag as his garland resides in his devotee’s heart unaffected by worldly matters like the lotus in the mud. Devotees in Aarati Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram Sansar Saramam chant bow to him and his consort Goddess Bhavani.
7 Holy Benefits of Chanting Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram Sloks
- Chanting This auspicious mantra to Shiva enhances positivity in one’s life.
- Daily chanting of Karpur Gauram eliminates the sins and trouble from the paths of Shiva bhaktas.
- Chanting Shiva Yajur Mantra Slokas helps devotees choose the righteous path and face challenging situations in life.
- One can get inspired by Shiva and his compassionate personality while getting familiar with this Mantra.
- Chanting Sanskrit mantras frequently also deliberately increases one’s concentration.
- Shiva mantras help one to introduce the self to the supreme reality and align with the inner self.
Some Frequently Asked Questions on Shiva Yajur Mantra
1. How many times is Karpura Gauram Karunavataram chanted?
Karpur Gauram Karunavtaram slokas are usually chanted 11 times during the aarti. While the chanting may differ depending on the nature of the puja or ceremony you’re performing.
2. What is the meaning of Gauram in Shiva Yajur Mantra?
Gauram denotes the pure white luster of camphor in the Karpura Gauram Karunavataram mantra.
3. Which mantra is powerful for Shiva?
Shiva Gayatri Mantra is one of the extremely powerful mantras which not only helps the devotees to align Shiva within them but also attain peace and purity in one’s mind and heart.
4. What are the powerful Shiva Mantras?
Some of the powerful Shiva mantras are Shiva Rudra Mantra, Om Namah Shivaya (Panchakshari Shiva mantra), Shiva Gayatri Mantra, and Ekadasha Shiva Mantras. The other remaining chants are Shiva Dhyaan Mantra and Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra.
5. How do we chant Lord Shiva?
One can chant Lord Shiva with pure heart, cleansing their thoughts, and remembering the Almighty early morning or in the evening during puja and aarti.
Chanting lord Shiva’s mantra miracles are evident to all. One is much more relaxed and became familiar with the essence of the power beheld by Mahadev.